The gun shed in 1983 before restoration
MP 1030 The picture shows the Gun Shed in St Mary’s churchyard in 1983 before restoration.
The Brading Gun was given to the town by King Edward VI in 1549 to defend the eastern end of the Island against French raids. 17th century in origin, the shed was restored in 1983 with funds by Brading Town Council, Miss E.G. Black and Miss D.E. Jarman. The Gun, last fired in 1832, is currently located at the Coach House in Nunwell House. See also MP1058 and MP1131.