The gun shed in 2016
The July 2016 photo shows the shed built in St Mary’s churchyard in the 17th century to house the town gun.
The Brading Gun was given to the town by King Edward VI in 1549 to defend the eastern end of the Island against French raids. The shed was restored in 1983 with funds by Brading Town Council, Miss E.G. Black and Miss D.E. Jarman. The Gun, last fired in 1832, is currently located at the Coach House in Nunwell House. Refer to images MP 1030 and MP 1058 for pre-restoration views.